With incentives and engineering guidance, bringing natural gas to your next development is more cost effective than ever before.
NW Natural's Multifamily Program offers special installation incentives to offset first-costs with natural gas infrastructure/piping. Gain access to a dedicated team of engineering, design, and marketing experts that can help distinguish your projects and attract more interested renters with the comfort and convenience of natural gas.
Get started now.
Contact D.G. Graham at 503-226-4211, ext. 2433
"Bringing in natural gas has made our units more comfortable and desirable for our tenants. The team at NW Natural went the extra mile to keep the project on track and our residents happy. That makes everyone’s job easier."
Central meter option
- Use a single commercial meter in your development and get $750 for every unit with eligible natural gas appliances, to help cover the cost of running natural gas house lines.
- In exchange, we'll charge each dwelling unit a flat monthly fee of $10.25 to help cover the cost of their natural gas service.
- We'll also provide shut-off valves to install for each floor and for every tenant unit to easily isolate flow at the unit or floor level, improve system operation and safety, allow shut-off for nonpayment and give greater control of gas flow .
A good choice if
- You have limited space and can't accommodate individual meters.
- You want to add low-use gas appliances including a gas range or cooktop, gas clothes dryer, or gas barbecue.
- You want to track centralized natural gas usage for commercial boilers and ground-floor commercial spaces as well as all connected residential units.
You should know
- You'll have to pay for more house piping with this option than you would with individual meters.
- Available in Oregon only
This incentive option is available only in Oregon. Projects must be at least three stories tall with two floors of stacked multifamily residential units. Incentive-eligible projects must also have centralized natural gas service to a boiler for water heating or similar application. Qualifying residential units must have at least one of the following natural gas appliances installed: cooktop or range, clothes dryer or outdoor grill/BBQ. Requires shut-off valves installed at each unit and each floor. Shut-off valves must be located in a publicly accessible location, and not within tenant residences. Offer subject to rules by the Oregon Public Utility Commission and NW Natural Rate Schedules 4 and 405. Projects that do not meet these guidelines may qualify for other incentives.
Individual meter option
Dedicated meter room.
- Get up to $750 for every unit with eligible natural gas appliances, to help cover the cost of running natural gas house lines.
- NW Natural will lease the space for a meter room closet in your development.
A good choice if
- You want the meter closet option.
- You want additional market rate reimbursement from NW Natural for space required to house meters in a meter closet.
- You want NW Natural to pay the expense for installing the extended service line and meters.
You should know
- Meter sets can be located in a meter closet, rooftop sets, or outdoor meter sets in your development.
- Meter closets are not required to be vented or fire-rated.
- Any natural gas appliances are eligible with no requirement for centralized usage.
- Projects must be at least two stories tall with two floors of stacked multifamily units (i.e. no townhomes or side-by-side).
- NW Natural will only pay for leasing space with the meter closet option.
- Available in Oregon and Washington.
Promote your project
Marketing support for your projectNW Natural will promote your project to more than 730,000 NW Natural customers in our communications.
- Up to $5,000 for promotional media costs per development
- PR support as needed, depending on the features of the development
- NW Natural sponsored open house for the new building
Register your account online.
View and pay bills, see gas use, and compare use over time.